China has become one of the world’s hottest inbound/outbound tourist markets with an annual revenue exceeding $400 billion. In 2015, more than 134 million Chinese tourists traveled domestically alone, and that number is rising along with overseas tourist travel as well. Problems associated with tourism resources, services, and regulations have also increased dramatically.
With China’s massive population and the rapid expansion of tourism marketing in the region, China National Tourism Administration (CNTA) had challenges handling customer complaints. The resources that CNTA, a government agency, had for managing customer services weren’t sufficient to meet the expectations of the tourists calling for assistance.
The CNTA plan was to implement a future-oriented public customer service platform, including a toll-free, bilingual hotline supported by all telecom service providers, a web page interface, and a mobile engagement interface open to China’s local social media. This platform was to be the first omnichannel public service milestone in China.
- Improved overall customer experience.
- Improved continuous NPS.
- Improved First Call Resolution to 85% during the first week.
- Tripled agent productivity in the first year.
- Leveraged big data analytics to identify successful behaviors and interactions in tourism programs.
“The Genesys Customer Experience Platform can successfully route different WeChat engagements to the right resources and remain stable during high peak hours. We are very satisfied to have the Genesys Customer Experience Platform contribute to our continuous business development.”
- Increased call volume due to growth in China’s travel industry.
- Uneven call management quality and customer experience in the tourism industry.
- No hub to ensure excellence in customer experience across booking channels.
- Little insight into customer behaviors.