Customer service and support organizations traditionally have owned customer experience. After all, they interact with customers most frequently.
But when you look at customer experience across a business, it’s clear that many functional teams have a significant impact on it:
- Marketing is usually one of the first customer touchpoints, as they’re responsible for customer lead acquisition and overall brand perception.
- Sales and business development teams or partners are involved with selling the product or service.
- The product or service delivery teams interact with customers when the product doesn’t work properly or the service delivery is poor. And this directly impacts the customer experience.
- Back-office teams, such as order management and billing departments, often engage directly with customers to answer questions, accept payments or handle collection-related activities.
- IT maintains the technology across these functional groups, making the customer experience seamless.