Overstock.com is a premier online retailer that prides itself on providing customers with white-glove treatment.
But, as Overstock.com continued to grow, the infrastructure that supported its high standard of customer service – a key differentiator in the competitive online retail space – was becoming stressed.
The contact center infrastructure combined on-premises hardware, hosted third-party software, and both manual and “homegrown” systems. It was inflexible and hard to expand. Call routing was slow, inefficient at matching agent skills with customer needs, and did not provide the information agents needed to resolve customer issues on the first call. The on-premises hardware required costly backup equipment, as well as three dedicated IT resources and an external consulting firm.
The outsourcer who supplemented the in-house agents during the holidays, operated on a separate contact center platform. With disparate reporting systems, management tools and agent pools, Overstock.com had no comprehensive view of the customer experience.
The company realized it needed a new approach to its contact center systems, including advanced routing. It no longer wanted to devote the time, staff and money to manage and maintain an on-premises infrastructure. After an evaluation process, Overstock.com chose a cloud-based contact center from Genesys.
In just 90 days from the project kickoff, the Genesys contact center had been implemented, in time for Overstock.com to scale seamlessly to handle the holiday rush. Since then, the Genesys solution has exceeded expectations and improved virtually every targeted metric within the Overstock.com contact center environment.
- Enhanced agent and supervisor productivity
- SLA with performance guarantees ensure system availability and reliability
- Average hold time decreased over 93%
- Abandon rates decreased by 85%
- TCO savings of $13,908,000 over five years compared with an on-premises solution
A robust, cost-effective and agile contact center plays a pivotal role in creating the competitive differentiation and brand loyalty so important to enterprise success in rapidly evolving markets.
- Call routing was slow and inefficient at matching agent skills with customer needs
- Agents couldn’t easily find the information needed to fully resolve customer issues on the first call
- Disparate reporting systems, management tools and agent pools meant there was no comprehensive view of the customer experience